Sunday, August 8, 2010

Sunday in Sumy

A Nice Surprise! Oleg, Pasha & Dima at the Sumy Church

Last night I asked the kids if they wanted to go to church with me. Both reminded me that when they get to Utah, " I go church at home". This morning at 8:00 AM, Pasha called Oleg, the facilitator and said he wanted to go to church with me. They were hiding in the back seat and surprised me when I opened the car door. A great start for the day. The other boy in the picture is Dima (pronounced DeeMa). He really wants a family and has such a good heart.

Kiev Temple Open House

This is the temple open house announcement. I was able to deliver a box to Elder Koefed who is new in the branch. If you look close at the card, you will see his name. He was so excited to get the care package. The missionaries were happy and pretty much do everything in the branch. I will be taking the kids to the open house on Friday.

Invented Ring Toss Game

The kids are playing a new game where we throw the frisbee type ring over the stake in the ground. This is one of the toys that Anndraea sent over for the orphanage. When I showed up today there were kids on roller blades, some throwing a football and others shooting Nerf guns. So nice to see them have something to do. They are all so happy and I am hot! 98 degree again today.

New Card Game

I finally talked them into going inside since I was soaked from sweat after teaching and playing Frisbee football. They love to compete with each other. They loved to learn the card game we call golf.

Another Amazing Site

This is Lena's dance teacher that came over special today to bring Lena bags of candy and gifts. These teachers hardly make any money and yet they spend their own money to show love to the kids. We talked today about the upcoming separation from the orphanage tomorrow, since they chose tomorrow as the day to move to my apartment. I let them choose the day. I told them it is Ok to have tears and smiles all on the same face. These kids are a family and I can tell that reality has finally hit the kids that their little family may never be seen again. Tomorrow could be a tough day!

Ice Cream after Frisbee football

There is a small store a block away from the orphanage that we went to after the big game. It was interesting that they all waited outside thinking that I would only buy Ice Cream for my kids. I had to go get them from the porch and tell them to come in a choose an Ice Cream. They are so kind, patient and respectful. So fun to put smiles on faces for only .40 an ice cream bar. (Note also the roller blades being used every second of the day)

Ukraine Crepes!

Why buy crepes in Paris for $7.00 when you can get them in Sumy for .60 each (not kidding). One of my secret habits here by the apartment. The food here is really good!

Better not get hurt in Sumy

How about a ride in a 1960 dodge van ambulance. I think I will start wearing my seatbelt more in Sumy.


Awesome ... Awesome ...Awesome

Yes!!!!!! Last night I made Ice (I can do toast as well) and the freezer actually worked. Oh my, a Coca Cola Light (diet) just as cold as the ones from 7-11. It's an awesome reprieve from the heat. (Sorry Honey!)

Personal Notes: Anyway, I am looking forward to tomorrow, since this is the day the kids have chosen to leave the orphanage. They could have left the day I arrived, but they emotionally needed time for good byes to this unique family of kids. They have been here almost 10 years. I can tell this will be a big deal. They are loved by so many and it will be a hard, not only on Pasha and Lena, but all their friends. We are planning a big dinner party at the orphanage tomorrow night to help with the transition. So many of the other kids will be sad to see them leave, even though they all would, if given the chance! Doesn't seem fair! These kids dream of a family of their own..... translation, don't take for granted what we all have.

Tears and Smiles Tomorrow! (Siblings)

2 comments:

  1. I bet the kids there just love you. I know my Sara does. Your kids are lucky to have you. Hope all goes well in the final stages of bringing them home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for delivering the package, his parents were so appreciative! Loving all the pictures.

    ReplyDelete